August 17, 2020 at 1:45 pm #1238488
My website is showing the Enfold theme as up to date but is actually running 3.4.7.
As it thinks it’s up to date, there is no option to update the theme in the back end. How can I update the theme?
Any advice appreciated!August 18, 2020 at 9:22 pm #1238921
Updating your Enfold theme via FTP manually
1) Make a full backup of your website using a backup plugin.
2) Safe the backup somewhere outside from the webserver of your website (e.g. on your local computer or in any cloud storage you trust).
3) Sign out from your WordPress website.
4) Go to your themeforest account, sign in and download the most recent Enfold version to your computer. Extract it and search for the file enfold.zip. Extract this file as well to already have your folder ready to be uploaded.
5) Sign in to FTP or SFTP using FileZilla or any other tool which is able to do that.
6) Go to the folder ./wp-content/themes and search for “enfold”. If you want, you can download the enfold folder to your computer as well (just in case you want to restore if afterwards which is easier like that than using the whole backup).
7) Delete the folder enfold via FTP. This may take 5-10min, depending on the server speed obviously.
8) Wait until it is finished and the enfold folder is gone. If that is the case, upload the “new” enfold folder to your website in the same directory.
9) Sign in to your WordPress website again and go to the Enfold tab (or the one from your child theme). Scroll down to the tab called Theme Update.
10) Your current API token will not work anymore as Envato changed some stuff on their API. Therefore you need to remove your current key and generate a new private key as visible in your themeforest account under “Settings” -> “API keys”. Go to https://build.envato.com and follow the steps there. To me, https://kriesi.at/documentation/enfold/how-to-install-enfold-theme/#toggle-id-5 was also very helpful (scroll down a bit there to find out about the permissions your private API key needs in order to check for future Enfold updates). Without these permissions it will not work.
11) After revalidating your new private key within the Enfold update tab, you should see a blue rectangle saying when it could be checked for the last time.
Feel free to ask me in case you need any assistance.August 18, 2020 at 11:03 pm #1238943
Thanks so much Michael, really appreciate this detailed reply. Will give it a go!August 19, 2020 at 4:58 am #1238999
The update to 4.7.x has to be done manually from the version you are running, please refer to my replies in this thread: https://kriesi.at/support/topic/enfold-4-5-theme-update-update-failed-download-failed-a-valid-url-was-not-pro/#post-1021541
You can either update manually via FTP: https://kriesi.at/documentation/enfold/how-to-install-enfold-theme/#theme-update, or use a plugin to upload the theme zip file: https://wordpress.org/plugins/update-theme-and-plugins-from-zip-file/
If that doesn’t work then please try to delete the whole theme folder, then replace it with the new version. Make sure that you have backups of the site before starting updating.
Also please read this after you have updated: https://kriesi.at/documentation/enfold/theme-registration/
Thanks @michaelH for helping out :-)
RikardAugust 19, 2020 at 12:23 pm #1239154August 19, 2020 at 7:03 pm #1239260
Glad we could help :)
If you need further assistance please let us know.
VictoriaSeptember 25, 2020 at 2:37 pm #1248450
Our web developer has tried to update manually via FTP but it’s turned out to be a nightmare!
All of the plugins are updated, FTP’ing the new theme over the old one does not work, neither does uploading as a new theme. WordPress has been installed again in case it was a permission issue, but it still has the same issue.
It is coming up with all the errors below (See private content for details):
jQuery Migrate Helper — Warnings encountered
This page generated the following warnings – see private content but mainly coming up as ‘jQuery.fn.live() is deprecated’
We are using the latest version of all of the plugins, and the theme.
ThanksSeptember 26, 2020 at 9:22 am #1248593
Thanks for the update. Please send us a temporary WordPress admin login and login URL so that we can have a closer look. You can post the details in the Private Content section of your reply.
RikardSeptember 26, 2020 at 3:47 pm #1248690
Thanks for the reply Rikard, I’ve put the login details in the private section.September 28, 2020 at 4:10 am #1248904
Thanks for the login details. I see that you are still running the old version of the theme, I’m guessing you are getting the error messages when you activate that? If so then could you copy the site to a staging folder, so that we can activate it there and see the actual problem please?
RikardOctober 8, 2020 at 4:08 pm #1251460
Hi Rikard, sorry it’s taken a while but we have now set up the site on a staging folder, for you to investigate the problem. Yes, we are getting error messages when we try and activate the new theme update.
Log in details in Private Content.
ThanksOctober 10, 2020 at 4:28 am #1251777
Thanks for that. The WordPress login details are working, but the SFTP details are not. Please check and verify.
RikardOctober 10, 2020 at 1:32 pm #1251851
Hi Rikard, thanks for that. Please see new details in Private Content.
ThanksOctober 11, 2020 at 11:03 am #1252037
Thanks for the update, but I’m having no luck with the new details, please see private. Are those details working on your end?
RikardOctober 11, 2020 at 9:04 pm #1252104
We’ve changed the password now to see if that helps -see private
ThanksOctober 13, 2020 at 5:13 am #1252390
Thanks for that. I uploaded and activated the latest version of the theme on your staging site, and everything seems to be working as it should, please review the site. If you should need for us to do the same thing with the live site then please let us know. The FTP account only lists the staging site, so if you should need help with the live site then please send us FTP login details for that as well.
RikardOctober 13, 2020 at 8:42 pm #1252604
that’s good news! Yes, please could you try and do the same thing for the live site? FTP login in private content
ThanksOctober 15, 2020 at 6:16 am #1252922
Thanks for that. I tried adding a new FTP account, but there is no option for it in your cpanel. Could you create the account for us, then post the details in private please?
RikardOctober 15, 2020 at 8:44 pm #1253089October 17, 2020 at 6:00 am #1253421
Thanks for that, FTP details are working now. I tried uploading a fresh version of the theme to this location: /public_html/wp-content/themes/, but it doesn’t show up on the actual site. Where is the live site located?
RikardOctober 18, 2020 at 12:57 am #1253548
From what I can gather, the correct path to upload the theme would be…. (see private content)October 19, 2020 at 6:32 am #1253803
Thanks for the update, that’s what I thought too. I uploaded the new version of the theme there, but it doesn’t show up on the actual site. I tried making changes to the other Enfold installations as well, via style.css. But those changes are not showing up either, that means it can’t be the correct installation.
If you look at the path in private via FTP, then you will see a folder called enfold_new, and that doesn’t show up under Appearance->Themes on the actual site.
October 22, 2020 at 12:39 pm #1254951
- This reply was modified 3 days, 19 hours ago by Rikard.
It’s all very strange! I asked the hosting company to take a look and they said: ‘I can see after checking that the theme looks to be uploaded under the zipped file I have pasted in below, this would need to be extracted before it will show within WordPress. themeforest-xCbsOm0W-enfold-responsive-multipurpose-theme-wordpress-theme.zip’
So they extracted it, and now the site has now disappeared at front end and it says ‘There has been a critical error on your website’!!October 22, 2020 at 3:47 pm #1255000
Update: turns out the the plugin “Events Calendar” needed to be downloaded as well and when the hosting company did this, the whole site is back up and running. The updated theme seems to be working fine.
Many thanks for all your help in sorting this out!October 22, 2020 at 6:59 pm #1255054
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.