November 11, 2014 at 12:34 am #349134
First of all I’d like to thank you for creating this awesome theme to help me as a WordPress novice building a website in no time. As a passionate photographer I esp. like the new demo import feature.
As I also successfully created an Enfold Child theme, it has raised some questions concerning updating the theme in general:
1. Which theme should I update first? The active child theme or the parent theme?
2. If I have to update both, in which order? First child and then parent or vice versa?
3. Or is it enough to update just one theme (such as the parent) and the other will change accordingly?
4. Will the update affect my actual setting on my photography website I created in the child theme?
As a novice to WordPress, I’d appreciate it if you could give me an answer in non-technical terms.
Thanks in advance.
StefanNovember 11, 2014 at 1:12 pm #349330
Thank you for using Enfold. Glad you’re enjoying it.
You should only update the parent theme. Child theme will lose its purpose when you have to update it every time a new version is available. Theme options will be preserved when you update the parent theme. Please refer to this link for more info: http://kriesi.at/documentation/enfold/updating-your-theme-files/
IsmaelNovember 11, 2014 at 11:17 pm #349732
Ismael, thanks for your quick reply.
So I have to update the parent theme only.
With an active child theme that would mean the following:
1. Active the Enfold parent theme (which deactives the child theme).
2. Go to the Enfold setting and update the active parent theme (with themeforrest user name and API key; thanks for the link BTW).
3. Wait until the update is finished.
4. Active the child theme (which deactive the just updated parent theme).
Is that correct so far?
What happens when I import the data in the child theme from the parent?
Does it delete my actual settings (photography website)?
A lot of question, but as a novice I need to know.
So thanks in advance.
StefanNovember 12, 2014 at 9:31 pm #350350
I’d recommend updating the theme directly via FTP, this way you don’t have to activate/reactivate anything in the Dashboard.
JosueMarch 12, 2015 at 7:12 pm #410663
Having problems with updating the theme via FTP. I used your tutorial (https://vimeo.com/67209750) as a reference. I downloaded FileZilla, did everything exactly as described in the video? Even though the copy process with FileZilla works fine, the column “date modified” still shows the old date. Also I don’t see a change in the version of Enfold in wordpress.
Thanks in advance
StefanMarch 12, 2015 at 7:27 pm #410673
Have you tried using the update tool in Theme Options?
JosueMarch 22, 2015 at 2:23 pm #415962
Although I prefer to update via FTP, could you give me a step-by-step guide on how to use the update tool in Theme Options?
Thanks in advance.March 22, 2015 at 8:19 pm #416050
Check this out:
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.