Sorry I wasn’t more concise in my message.
It’s the parent that I’m updating, of course. That’s when I got the above error message after updating. So I restored the theme to the older version 3.2.2. just to get the site up again.
It seems it’s working fairly well now. I didn’t install a clean theme, as the first one I’d downloaded was from your site. It appears that the blog posts are working okay now, thanks for all of your help!
If I do that, then I get this:
Hi Andy – sorry meant to say that I had tried this initially with no success – even with all plugins deactivated, this is still an issue…